Sunday, December 16, 2007

Season Of Transition

No, this is not a post about the Cards trading Edmonds (although that one should be coming soon enough.) I've not said too much about the St. Louis University Billikens in the early part of the season. There are two reasons I've been mostly quiet: 1) I've been real busy in my real world activities, and 2) I knew from the start that the Bills were going to be a mixed bag this season, so why hang on every missed shot?

Don't get me wrong, I still hope they will do well, but the transition to an entirely new scheme under Rick Majerus is going to take time. So far this season the Bills look like a team that is still trying to figure out what they are supposed to be doing. The best case scenario is that they work enough out in the non-conference part of their schedule to scare some folks in the A-10 during the new year.

Maybe there are some signs that that is exactly what is happening. The Billikens picked up a big win over Southern Illinois last night, and showed some grit doing it. A few victories like this will go a long way to erasing the memory of loses like the ones to Boston College (61-39) and Kent St. (81-40).

So, right now the Bills are sitting at 7-5 with two more non-conference games to go (Loyola-Chicago and IUPUI). Given how disjointed this season was bound to be any record over .500 before the first A-10 game tips will be counted as a bonus.

This is all a long way of saying I haven't written much on the Bills yet because, for me, the season hasn't really started yet.

I'll note that the Bills drew almost 11,000 in the snow for the SIU game. That is also encouraging for the future.

No comments: