Sunday, March 22, 2009

Gutting It Out (Blogging Style)

Yours truly is not in tip-top condition these days. I woke up yesterday, went to take a leak and it felt like I was pissing glass shards. Because of my keen powers of observation I was able to helpfully point out "this hurts like hell!"

A quick trip to the doctor later, with the accompanying examination of my prostate ("Moon RIVER!), it was deemed I had an infection and not a stone. The upshot is I've got meds and I still feel mostly like shit...though I'm not pissing blood anymore so I'll take that as improvement. (Those keen powers at work again.)

I'm glad I'm feeling a little better because this is opening day for DC United. Things have been so screwy around the home front that I've had little time to keep up on MLS matters, though it may not have mattered much where DC is concerned. But here are some random thoughts as we go into the 2009 season:

1) My, but DC seems a little long in the tooth. Everything I read seems to be counting upon positive contributions from Moreno, Gomez and Olsen. Good Lord, I hope they all have good seasons, but how much can we really expect from them realistically?

2) After watching the Thursday ESPN match all I can say is , Good on the Sounders. Hey look, I was a season ticket holder in DC and I appreciate what Barra Brava and the Screaming Eagles do, but the crowd in RFK never looked Seattle good. A new facility might change that for the better in DC. I'll begin holding my breath now...

3) I'm happy that United finally has a SLU player on the roster in Brandon Barklage. Let's see if he can stick.

4) Speaking of St. Louis, I was sorry to see MLS pass them by (again) for expansion. This makes 5 of the last 7 expansion teams put into the West. (And one of the other teams was fucking Canadian so it hardly counts.) Its good to know MLS believes in ignoring Flyover Country.

GO UNITED!

No comments: