Monday, June 29, 2009

My Take On The DeRosa Deal

It may be trendy to fall in love with the young hard throwing relievers coming up through the Cards system, but I thought we were doing the whole "build from within" thing in part because it allows us to make a move for immediate help, which DeRosa clearly is. We have no one on the farm who can really replace the missing production in the outfield and third base this season. That being the case, it makes sense to grab a DeRosa to fill in here and there. He is a plus bat and we need one right now. LaRussa has a good handle on how to use guys like this, and from what I read the in PD he's keen to have someone like DeRosa aboard.

Yes, it would be great to keep Perez and see how he develops, but I never bought that whole "closer of the future" stuff. In my experience, if a kid is really ready to step in like that they do it right away (think of that ass Papelbon or Todd Worrell.) Now, some players do work their way into the position, but it usually takes a few years. Perez obviously isn't ready to be the full time guy, and maybe he will be in 2012...but we need a bat now.

I'm less sanguine about the possibility of a deal for Matt Holiday, but only because I fear he will never be the player he was for the Rockies. We shall see, maybe.

No comments: