Skip to main content

I Just Might Lose My MLS Fandom

From Steve Goff:

Club president Kevin Payne says that the process of identifying a location for a new stadium continues in Washington, Northern Virginia and Baltimore. The Maryland Stadium Authority's feasibility study, the first of many steps if a Charm City project goes forward, is expected to be finalized in the coming weeks.

The day DC United moves to Baltimore is the day I cease to be a fan.

Good luck to them, but Baltimore doesn't mean shit to me. I didn't live in Baltimore for eight years, I lived in DC. I didn't have season tickets to a team playing in Baltimore, I had tickets to a team playing in DC. I'm not rooting for the fucking uniforms, I'm (mostly) rooting for a team tied to a specific place.

This sucks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)