Skip to main content

Some United Thoughts

I was pleased to see the team reaquire Dyachenko from Toronto. Rod's got a lot of upside, so the deal was easily worth the first round pick.

Then there was this from Steve Goff's blog:

Rookie forward Guy-Roland Kpene, from Dowling College, told me that he has signed a developmental contract with MLS. The team won't formally announce it until his paperwork is complete. Safe to say, he is virtually certain to make the final roster. Kpene has a fascinating background, which I will write about in the coming weeks.


Should be interesting reading. You can find some real high praise of Kpene floating around the net from those who saw him in college. NCAA Div II to MLS is a huge jump, so here is wishing him luck.

And, yes, here is wishing luck to Ricky Schramm. On draft day I wrote that I doubted he would make the team. This prompted a response from someone from Georgetown (was that you Ricky?), taking me to task. (All I seem to do is piss my readers off.) Well, I've been following this team from day one and I've seen lots of draft picks come and go with barely a ripple, but I'll take being wrong about this one in a heart beat. But hey, Schramm had to work his butt off to go from non-invitee to the MLS combine to getting drafted with the #37 selection. I'm sure my doubting him is the least of his worries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)