Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'm An Idiot

Really, no one on earth should listen to me discuss the Billikens. I was convinced, when the season began, that the youngest team in Division One basketball was in for a horrendous season. Back on Armistice Day, I fearlessly predicted a seven win season for the Bills proving, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I'm a class A moron.

To wit: Saint Louis beats Fordham 75-48

ST. LOUIS (AP)—Freshman Cody Ellis had 14 points and nine rebounds in his first career start, helping Saint Louis put away Fordham 75-48 on Wednesday night.

Kwamain Mitchell added 13 points and five assists with no turnovers for Saint Louis (12-6, 3-1 Atlantic-10), which held Fordham (2-15, 0-5) to 33 percent shooting and forced 20 turnovers

Alright, fine, so the competition was hardly stellar, but you can only play to win the games on your schedule. Besides, I was convinced the Billikens would struggle to win even these games. Obviously, I didn't count on two factors; 1) Majerus can coach a little bit, and 2) Majerus is recruiting a better class of player to SLU. That this sophomore dominated and led team is competing well night after night, home and away, speaks volumes.

Next time I'll remember that not all recruits are created equal. I'll also remember not to make any predictions.

No comments: