Monday, September 22, 2008

It's Not Just Me!

Just saw this from Steve Goff's blog:

What was worse: United's collective defending, the officiating crew or the high-pitched squealing that serves as the Beckham soundtrack? Tough call. (Just don't let Terry Vaughn make it.)


A-fucking-men.

Here is what Goff wrote for the Washington Post:

United was certainly willing to dwell on the officiating by referee Terry Vaughn and linesmen C.J. Morgante and Sean Hurd, who appeared to miss several offside calls. The most devastating decision was made by Vaughn, who ejected Marc Burch for a sideline challenge on Beckham, leaving resurgent United a man short for the final 27 minutes.

Burch certainly made contact, contributing to Beckham's tumble into a sign board, but it was hardly a malicious tackle. After the match, Beckham said he had told Vaughn at the time that the ejection was not warranted. "The momentum took me over the line and I lost my balance," he said.

"I swung for the ball and hit the back of his leg," said Burch, who must sit out Sunday's game at Dallas. "I guess that comes with bringing him to the league."

When Vaughn showed the red card, "the Galaxy [coaching] staff looked at me and had no answers; it's just a soft card. It was terrible," United Coach Tom Soehn said. "We all saw it: It was an absolute travesty."

This isn't a story on some dipshit's blog (hey!), but in the Washington Post. If MLS isn't embarrassed by it than the league office is more screwed up then even I think.

2 comments:

Southlandish said...

At least the MLS has some friendly competition from the Championship across the pond.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article4805979.ece

The FA has a complete lockdown on the video. I haven't been able to find it online.

Rich Horton said...

I didnt even check the link, but I'm sure you are referencing the Reading non-goal goal. Go over to Steve Goffs Soccer Insider (in the Press links) to see the video of it. It is easily the worst call I've ever seen. It makes Denkinger look like a "bang bang" play.