Skip to main content

I'll Have Some of What They're Smokin

"Wha? Oh, Mel Kiper here dudes. The Illini will win seven. No, eight. No, seven. Hey, man, no fair. Stop bogarting the Doritos."

The Goat checked in with an assessment of the 2007 Illini:

I think the people who are picking Illinois to win 7 games are completely
stoned. Not that our non-conference schedule is anything tough but for the
first time I can remember, we play Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St, Wisconsin
and Iowa in the same season. The two conference teams not on our schedule
this season are Michigan St. and Purdue.

We've had two fantastic recruiting classes but that also means we're young
in a couple of areas so I think it's much more fair to expect 7 wins out of
the team next season. We do return 9 starters from a defense that was much
improved last season and watch out for incoming Freshmen (Martez Wilson -
linebacker and D'Angelo McCray - defensive line).

Our offense should be better. Keys are obviously Juice Williams and Rashard
Mendenhall. Mendenhall averaged 8 yards a carry last season in limited duty
and has put on 20 lbs of muscle. He has the potential to be a stud but has
to hold on to the ball. Finally have some speed at receiver position but
we're heavily relying on a true freshman (Arrelious Benn) to be the savior
and beyond him, we're not that deep. I don't know that much about the
offensive line but have read that Akim Millington is healthy this year. He
was very hyped coming into last season as a transfer from Oklahoma but
wasn't healthy. If he plays up to all they hype from last year, could be a
force on the offensive line.

Bottom line is that I still think this team is too young offensively for
anyone to be making realistic predictions. And who knows if we're going to
improve in the turnover and special teams departments (which absolutely
killed us last season). 5 wins would have to be considered a very
successful season. But I think only 3 wins would be a huge failure.
Although we only won two games last season there was drastic improvement
considering that we didn't get blown out by teams like Wisconsin, Ohio St.
and Penn St. but we also couldn't get it done against Syracuse, Indiana,
Northwestern and Ohio University. We simply must win those type of games
this season.

The only time I've ever predicted anything for an Illini football team was
during Kurt Kittner's sophomore season right after we blew out Ohio St. I
predicted (of course out of complete cynicism) that when he was a senior
we'd probably win the conference, considering the national championship game
would be the Rose Bowl that year, and that would just be our luck to finally
win the conference only to be denied the Rose Bowl (and unfortunately that's
exactly what happened).

So let's just be patient and hope that by the time Juice Williams is a
Junior or Senior that all of the pieces of this puzzle will have fallen into
place.

Update: I just checked the BCS national championship schedule and see that
the January, 2010 Rose Bowl is set to be the National Championship game. So
I am now officially predicting that the Illini will win the Big Ten in 2009
(which will be Juice Williams' senior season) and again be denied a trip to
the Rose Bowl.


Sounds about right to me. If I get some time later in the week I'll make my game predictions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)