Skip to main content

I Thought About Writing Something Exactly Like This

Really, I did:

You know how I know STL is a baseball town? Last night at the gym, as many as 20-25 people let out a simultaneous yell when the Dodgers took the lead on a grand slam against the losers. Sorry Jayson Stark. So sad Rick Reilly. You’re rah-rah this is the year bullshit yesterday looks a bit more asinine today. God, I really do hate the Cubs. And so do many of you.

As I said to my wife the night the Dodgers swept the Cubs, "There is only one thing better then watching the Cardinals win a postseason series, and that is watching the Cubs lose one."

Now, if the Angels can come back to beat the Red Sox in five I'll almost be happy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The Goat and I were watching the Cubs game together and celebrated with a snifter of cognac. It has become a tradition dating back to the 2003 Cubs loss when I called him and told him I had just poured a glass of malt to celebrate. He had just poured a glass for himself moments before. Their performance last year earned a toast too. The only drinks that tasted better were in 2006. After the Cards won the NLDS I celebrated with The Macallan 12 Yr. The NLCS warranted a pop of the 18 Yr. and the Series win brought out the 25 Yr., complete with incense and genuflection...

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)