Saturday, February 13, 2010

A New St. Valentine's Day Massacre

Notts County plays Fulham tomorrow in the 5th round of the FA Cup tomorrow, and I expect them to get absolutely drilled. Notts had been having their finest season in a decade, but the wheels have fallen off the club. Old investors turned out to be con-artists who have, basically, bankrupted the club; ol' Sven hung around as long as he could, but that only turned out to be six months; new owner seems committed to keeping the club out of administration (which is good), but seems to envision them as a permanent 3 or 4 division side (which is totally fucking unacceptable.)

It's one thing to support a side that is down of their luck, but which had a history of some success and the prospect of getting back to successful ways one day. It's another thing to be supporting the equivalent of Dag & Red. I mean, if I was living in Nottingham supporting the local side even though they always offer an inferior product would be fine. But, I don't live in Nottingham. I live in the United States.

If things continue this way, I may have to rethink some things.

No comments: