Skip to main content

My Cheatin' Heart

When it all comes down it, I really am quite a loyal fellow... most of the time.

Damn qualifiers. Damn germane qualifiers.

You see, the thing is, every once in awhile situations will arise that expand my sporting world in ways I would have originally thought impermissible.

I'll just come right out and say it. I sometimes find myself rooting for the Minnesota Twins and Chelsea.

Look, I can explain...

The Twins thing is really a matter of convenience. I live in "Twins Territory" so those are the baseball games most often on television. I'm a firm believer that any baseball, even inferior American League baseball, is better than no baseball, so I've watched a lot of Twins broadcasts over the last six years. I know the players and a bit about the ins and outs of the organization.

Now, it isn't quite the same as my love affair with my hometown Cardinals. I don't get pissy when the Twins lose, and I certainly haven't forgiven the Twins cheating their way to the 1987 World Series title. However, there is no way around it, I'm pleased when they do well, and, most of the time, I want them to do well. Whatever it is between me and the Twins, it ain't love. Maybe it is a trashy casual fling.

The Chelsea thing is a little more complicated.

Once again, don't get me wrong, I'm fully committed to Notts County. They are my number one English team and that won't change.

However..... It's a classic long distance relationship. As long as the Magpies are toiling in the depths of third tier English football, I almost never get to see them play. Oh, I follow along via the BBC website but, of course, I want to watch some games on television. Those games are Premiereship games and that is where Chelsea enters the picture.

Now, it isn't because I have any natural affinity for Chelsea. I really kinda don't. However, I loathe and despise Manchester United, and rather than adopt a strict ABU (Anybody But United) stand I have found myself choosing Chelsea as my preferred "anybody." I prefer them because I know they have the financial wherewithal to potentially challenge United year in and year out.

The net effect is not only do I root for Chelsea during head-to-head matchups with Man U. (like today - yay Chelsea), but also whenever Chelsea plays anyone else because I don't want them dropping points they need to stay close to United. That, obviously, didn't work this season - the reason why the Premier League sucked hard this year - but it has served in the past.

It is also true that Chelsea is on television all the freakin' time, so I have lots of chances to identify with the team, even though its beginning to make me feel unclean.

C'mon Notts. Get your ass at least into the Championship. Soon. I want to come home to you....honestly I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

Blues Beat Bugbear

 The St. Louis Blues have not had many out-of-character results so far this season. For the most part they have been handling the teams they usually handle and doing nothing against the teams that seem to always have their number. There is some solace to be had just knowing that you are going to probably beat Calgary, and will probably lose to Columbus, just as the sun will most likely rise in the East tomorrow. Granted that isn't an ideal set of affairs for a sports team, but Blues fans have learned to take what they can get. Which is why it is fair to say last night's victory over Utah was unusual. The Blues do not play well against that collection of players. Ever. So, any victory would be noteworthy in this matchup, but the resilience they showed last night was an added bonus. The Blues still have crappy puck luck, but last night they didn't let it get them down and, miracle of miracles, the puck luck evened out for the game. For a change the PK wasn't always runnin...