Monday, July 16, 2007

McKee On The Move?

From the Buffalo News:
Recent speculation around the league had the Blues trying to unload former Sabres defenseman Jay McKee, whose first year in St. Louis was an injury-riddled disaster that prompted second-guessing all the way back to Buffalo.

McKee played only 23 games for the Blues after suffering a sprained knee, a broken finger and a nagging pelvic injury after signing a four-year deal worth $16 million. It provided evidence for Sabres fans and front-office types to scoff at the contract.

Yes, the Blues overpaid for McKee. You know that, the Sabres know that and presumably McKee knows that. Again, he was looking for a four-year deal worth $9.5 million from the Sabres, which would have been fair for both sides.

McKee is considering junking his No. 74 sweater for something that brings him more luck, such as No. 77. Note to McKee: Don’t change a thing.

It seems like a silly move by the Blues, who have been doing most everything right this off-season. Right now you would not get fair market value for McKee. Yes, he was banged all to shit this last season, but that doesn't mean the deal is a bust. Most NHL players go through seasons like the one McKee suffered through. The Blues should sit tight and allow a healthy McKee to rehab his trade value. The Blues have a number of defense prospects so I understand the temptation to move McKee and his salary, but patience is what is called for here.

Besides, you are going to have some young defensemen taking on added responsibility as it is, and having a veteran influence like McKee could only help on the blue line.

I'd like to see what McKee can do for the Blue note.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm torn, just like you I would like to see what he could do with a healthy season for the blues but at the same time, it would depend on what was being offered for him. If they wanted to throw something like pominville at us for him, I'm all for it. I also really want to give polak every chance to stick with the blues this year because I think he showed the ability to do so last season and it would be a shame to send him to the minors if he can get meaningful minutes in st. louis.

Rich Horton said...

Well, you are always gonna get somebody banged up over the course of the year. I mean what are the chances that Jackman will play 60+ games? Not very good. So I agree, I'd like to see Polak get his minutes, I'm not sure we have to move anybody to get them.

Besides, I think it unlikely that the Blues would be offered much. I'll agree if they offer something stupid you simply can;t say no..but I think Buffalo was looking for a bargin basement price on a supposed "bust." I look at what McKee could bring to this team, particularly at playoff time, and I do NOT see another Sean Hill.

I think the Blues have told Buffalo to get lost anyway, because I've heard nothing else about this.