Skip to main content

Euro2008 Is Upon Us


The next three weeks will be a scramble each day to try to fit my work around the twice daily games, which start at 11:45 and 2:30 on ESPN2 (today's matches are on ESPN Classic). No Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales so this is very much a continental affair. The consensus is that Group C with Italy, France, Romania and the Dutch is the Group of Death.

The Guardian has full previews up and they have decided to alter to their Football Weekly's twice weekly format to a Football Daily one for the next three weeks, with James Richardson and Barry Glendenning anchoring it from a pub in Vienna. Their daily 2006 World Cup were great and I look forward to more of the same. They have a brief introductory preview clip up today.

Now if I can just rush Mrs. Southlandish's ass through the Saturday morning shopping (the number of stores we 'need' to go to grows by the fucking minute) and get my ass back here by 11:30, I'll be happy.

Hope to be doing a little bit of blogging about it over the next few weeks, while keeping an eye on the Cards. You can't be anything but happy to be where we are right now and I intend to stick to my pre-season pledge of treating this season as a transitional one where any kind of winning ball is a bonus, though that becomes tougher and tougher as it remains the fucking Cubs out there in front of us. Let the games begin...

Comments

Rich Horton said…
I sure do wish the opening games were on not on the unavailable (to me) ESPN "Classic".

I like horse racing more than the next guy, but last time I checked, I didn't have a parimutual window in my living room...so the appeal of the Belmont undercard is limited. And the only college baseball I'm interested in would be something with Arizona St. so I can see the kid the Cards just drafted. (Which I cant fucking see either since ASU will be on the mythical ESPNU.)

I fucking hate ESPN.

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)