Monday, July 7, 2008

Fucking Cubs...Again

"Let me just drop trow and perform a little colon blow on all you baseball fans again."

Once again, MLB has fucked me over. I got to see Friday night's Cards/Cubs game on WGN and Sunday's on TBS (their broadcasts are a pleasure to watch compared to pretty much everything else out there). Of course, the lone victory in between was blocked out here on FOX so we could see the Yanks/Red Sox play for the 1,267th time in four years.

It is wonderful to see this Cardinal team playing so hard and winning some exciting games. Still, I'm growing weary of announcers who constantly extol the team's grit and determination for want of much else to praise. All in all, I'd happily return to the days of yore when they were slack-jawed at our offensive production and a staff that was piling up quality start after quality start. I think it is safe to say that one World Series title from a shitty division and post-season overachievers is the quota and we're more likely to get our next pennant and/or championship from teams of the 2000-2005 ilk. I'm afraid I don't see the horses on this team to pull it off. As one friend put it to me this morning: "Playing from behind at home against your arch rivals all Fourth of July weekend is a crime."

Oh well, I promised not to bitch about this club. It's hard to believe we're 10 over .500 and still within 4 games in the loss column a week ahead of the All-Star break. If we can manage to hang around within six or eight games until September when we have two series with the Cubs, this will be one helluva season.

1 comment:

Rich Horton said...

If you stuck out Friday's game, you are more optimistic than I am. I turned it off after I watched the ump refuse to call Soto out on back to back pitches, which had been strikes to Pujols earlier. That Soto's homer was the game winner was typical.

Fuck the Cubs.