Skip to main content

A Lack Of Conviction


I like trying new beers. When I hit the local liquor store I'm more likely to pick up a six of something I've never heard of rather than go with an old favorite. It isn't that I think there is anything wrong with the beers I already like, I'm just always open to having "new" favorites. When I peruse the shelves and see nothing interesting then it is always nice to "fall back" on a trusty old friend.

Well, it's my turn to bring the booze for the weekly wargaming night, so I hit the store this afternoon. In addition to the brew I picked out for this evening (Old Peculiar) I also picked up something new (to me at least.) Colonial Pub Pints come in four packs of draught cans, which I've grown to like immensely thanks to Boddington's and (especially) Belhaven's. I picked up their Brown Ale and headed home for a tasting.

When you open it, the first aroma that hits you is reminiscent of home brew...that's not entirely a good or bad thing...but it pours easily, with just the right amount of carbonation, by American standards at least. The color is just right for a Brown Ale, and after it is in the glass you can detect hints of toasted malt and caramel in the nose.

So far so good. In fact, I really got my hopes up. The packaging has prose playing up the English origins of the ale style and I thought for a brief moment that the brewers (from Minnesota) had actually made an English style Brown Ale.

No such luck. When you drink it you are hit by their very aggressive hopping. I know this isn't uncommon among American Style Brown Ales, but its all wrong for something selling itself as British inspired. It simply is too close in flavor to a Pale Ale for my tastes. If you want to make something that hoppy, why not stick with Pale Ale, so maybe an Extra Special Bitters? The beauty of a nice English Brown Ale is the toasty, nutty quality of the malt, where the hops add only a hint of bite.

Putting my disappointment side for the moment, I have to admit this is a pretty nice beer if you like American Brown. Despite the home brew smell at the outset, there is nothing of that in the finish. The only aftertaste is a slightly bitter hoppiness, that is actually quite pleasant. The ale holds up nicely as it warms as well. It actually mellows a little bit as it warms to a more English like serving temp.

I entitled this "A Lack of Conviction" because I fear the brewers had actually wanted to make an English style beer, but decided they didn't want to go against American expectations. Its a shame because the American habit of hopping every beer to within an inch of its life is getting kinda old. As is, this is a good beer and worth a pour. But it misses being a great beer by a very small margin.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A tip of the hat to Thursday afternoon drinking.
Rich Horton said…
Being a university prof does have an upside.

Who knew?

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)