Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I'm Expecting Better Things

Average soocer supporter in the great state of Tennessee
World Cup qualifying continues for the USMNT tonight when they take on T&T in that well known soccer hotbed Nashville, Tennessee. All I can say is I hope we look better then we did over the weekend against El Salvador ("The Fighting Floppers").

Nothing is more frustrating then watching the national team struggle because they do not have the right players out there. For example, how many sub-par performances do we need to sit through before Bradley realizes that Brian Ching is not up to the standard of the international game? I know, in general, you can get away with starting Ching in games against CONCACAF competition, but shouldn't we be building towards a higher level of play? I'm sorry, but Ching is not "the poor man's Brian McBride." Ching is Ching, and that simply isn't good enough.

Also, Bradley's decision to start Guzan last time out was a poor one. This is nothing against Guzan really, but he hasn't been playing for his club side and the lack of match play was glaringly obvious. The team would have been better served by playing a goalie starting in MLS even if they are just getting started back up. Needless to say, I'm happy that Howard is back from suspension tonight.

If there is one thing I don't need in my life, it is uncertainty about this World Cup Qualifying campaign. Let's get the three points so we can work to ending this competition quickly.

No comments: