Saturday, April 11, 2009

Yes, I Realize It

I know I've not posted anything about it, but I am well aware that the Blues clinched a play-off spot last night (with an assist from the Minnesota Wild, who finally discovered the point of the game is to put the puck in their opponents net.)

I'll admit it, I'm a happy man. This team has been a lot of fun to watch, and this run from 15th and dead last to 7th or 8th in the conference has been one for the ages. What is especially rewarding about following this Blues team is you are not only seeing a team "come together" in the sense of developing chemistry, but you are also seeing home grown talent grow into impact players. I know that is normal for followers of other franchises, but it is a novelty if you have been following the Blues your entire life. When I hear seasoned fans saying things like "This is my favorite Blues team!" I know where they are coming from, although my favorite team will always be the Monday Night Miracle squad of 1986. It is gratifying to follow a player from the time they are drafted, and have them amount to something.

So, what will the future bring? Well, in the immediate future I've no clear idea, but I'm glad these young players will be getting a taste of the playoffs. It will only help them in the slightly more distant future.

However, I think I know what we will see in the next 5 years or so: A Stanley Cup.

Can't you feel it building?

No comments: