Skip to main content

Foreign Bitching About MLS

I think I've had enough of foreign press complaining about the Beckham deal. It was this piece from Sp!ked that drove me over the edge:

So, farewell then David Beckham. You took a mean free kick, you always looked good on camera and, er, that’s about it. Becks hasn’t actually croaked but the tone of reaction amongst British sports journalists has been decidedly obituarial. By opting to move to the land of Walt Disney and play in a Mickey Mouse league, Beckham’s football career is effectively over.

The size of Beckham’s pay deal with LA Galaxy, which is said to be worth £128million over 5 years, has raised eyebrows this side of the pond, largely because the Brits are still unused to the idea of top sportsmen getting movie star salaries. Beckham somewhat unconvincingly protests that he’s going for a new challenge. ‘I didn’t want to go there at 34-years-old and for people to say he’s only going for the money,’ insisted the Real Madrid bench warmer. Personally, I’ve got no problem with Becks chasing a fistful of dollars but, let’s be honest, this isn’t about football. As former England striker Gary Lineker said, ‘It’s tantamount to semi-retirement’

Beckham’s new employers would have us believe that his mission is all about selling soccer to the Yanks. ‘Vend it like Beckham,’ as the LA Times put it. ‘We want him to help us to be the top team in MLS and maybe, one day, become the top team in the world,’ claimed LA Galaxy general manager Alexei Lalas. (I always had Lalas down as a stoner and now my suspicions have been confirmed.) Can Beckham succeed where PelĂ©, Beckenbauer and Best failed in the 1970s? I very much doubt it. Despite several attempts to market the game Stateside, American sports fans still regard ‘soccer’ as a soft, girlie game. Beckham might help sell sports shoes to soccer moms but the notion that he will lead a cultural revolution and convert the Yanks to football seems rather fanciful.


I responded with the following missive sent to the writer of the above:


For all the bitching about Becks that you hear these days coming from the UK one is tempted to believe that his over-inflated mega-stardom wasn't in any way the fault of the british.

Of course that would mean we would have to believe that the media creation that is Beckham is the fault of Japanese schoolkids and the US sporting culture.

Puh-leeeeese.

You can complain that Becks is over rated and not worth anything like $250 million dollar (well, no duh), but why take shots at the US in general? I can think of plenty of ways in which things are different from the 1970's. For starters, back then it had been 20+ years since the US had been in a World Cup final field, now they get in rountinely (more routinely than England in fact.) In the 1970's all the teams played in stadia built for baseball or American football, played on God awful astroturf and often didn't make a dime from things like concessions and parking. Today, team after team are building soccer specific parks and building decent financial foundations.

Plus I really don't get the snarking at the US game in general. Fine, I'll admit, it isn't to the quality of the top tier in England, Italy, France, Germany or Spain... but I don't see UK writers going out of their way to remind folks that comparatively speaking the Greek or Polish leagues are just shite.


I think I was actually pretty restrained. I didn't even ask the guy if he had ever been to an MLS game, or for any other proof that he knows the American game in the slightest. My suspicion is he knows jack squat about it. God knows, I know more about the English game than he does of the US.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)