Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hardware



So....DC United has won the supporters shield for the best regular season record in MLS. For some, this is the only accomplishment that matters:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

As far as I’m concerned, we’re done. In a real league, we are the champions.

I'm as much of a Eurosnob as the next U.S. soccer fan, but it doesn't feel done to me. I like postseason tournaments (in all sports), so I don't see why MLS should be any different. (If we had a twenty team league I'd be clamoring for a single table louder than anyone...but I still wouldn't have a problem with a postseason.)

I view the "Supporter's Shield" the same way I view the "President's Trophy," it's a nice thing for the trophy case but if you lose in the postseason it don't mean much. I think back to the Blues in the 1999-2000 season and I don't remember much about the 114 point regular season. I still see the opening round loss to San Jose in my nightmares.

So, the regular season success has been nice, but it is time to get to work.

No comments: