Monday, October 8, 2007

Oskee Wow-Wow!




Talk about a 'Holy Shit!' Saturday afternoon. I cannot recall an Illini team in my lifetime that has dominated a ranked team on the ground. Most of my Illini life has been spent casting a greedy eye on the Michigan and Ohio State offensive and defensive lines, knowing that's probably the biggest reason why they are dominating year after year. From the P-D account of the game:

Illinois battered the Wisconsin defense for 289 rushing yards, led by Rashard Mendehall's 160, furthering the team's reputation as one of the top running teams in the country.....While the Illinois offensive line won its battle, the defensive front and the rest of the defense met a challenge Zook issued. Facing an offense that had become prolific in its running game, the Illini stuffed P.J. Hill, holding him to 83 yards on 21 carries, with 30 coming on one run.

I doubt if you have ever seen IM and Southlandish both so happy at this point in the same college football season. He was predicting a Mizzou swoon mid-season, but he was also predicting a tight Nebraska game, if I recall correctly. I'm already beyond my early season expectations, though I haven't yet checked Champaign's weekend police blotter to see how many assault charges have been filed against team members. Looks like I'll be posting the Chief until we lose. Ever the optimist, I've got five more days to enjoy this.

No comments: