Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Last Night's Blues Loss

Things have been a little busy around here, so my blogging has been lighter than usual. I did get the chance to listen to the Blues game last night, for a change. I liked some of what I heard. We seem to have three lines that can threaten to put the puck in the net. Boyes continues to impress; Stempniak continues to grow in stature as a goal scorer; Weight is playing like someone who wants to be around next season; Backes is still making some strides forward, etc.

But this team still has problems putting people away. The Calgary radio crew mentioned that the Blues played noticeably better when they were behind, and seemed to go into a shell once they were tied or even had a lead. And it is true. After a decent first period, the Blues sat back and let the Flames come at them time and again. Granted the Blues still almost won the game, but Stempniak's bid for a hat trick game winner in OT was denied by a fantastic save, but that doesn't excuse the passivity that creeps into their game.

Don't get me wrong. The glass is definitely half full here. But I'm getting to the point where I'm expecting more from this team, which in an of itself is a good sign.

No comments: