Thursday, March 22, 2007

Sadly Predictable

Anybody who has followed the NHL for any length of time knew what was coming for the Blues tonight. You complain about the officiating to the league office (who acknowledge the merits of your complaints btw), and you are going to pay the next game. It's inevitable. The officials are like the thin blue line...they cover for their own.

So you are Doug Weight and you take a stick to the face that busts your lip wide open and knocks you out of the game? Nah, the refs are blind, they don't see anything wrong with that. You are Lee Stempniak and you are hooked from behind while circling the net while the Blues are putting great pressure on? What? Sorry, the refs minds must have been elsewhere.

Look cross eyed at a Wild player? To the box with you.

Alright refs, you got your revenge, now drop your capriciousness and return to your usual state of incompetence.

UPDATE:

I'm done bitching about the NHL refs this season (barring something truly idiotic occuring during the playoffs...so I've a 50/50 shot.)

The next complaints will be about MLS refs, but that is a couple weeks away yet.

4 comments:

thehockeychick said...

OMG, seriously. And to think these guys get paid for games when their sight isn't quite up to par. I want that job! (Although I'm sure it would help if I could skate well)

Rich Horton said...

I have a half blind cat that might be more up for the job, and you could pay her in Friskies.

I have a little bit of stats in my background and I've alway toyed with the idea of doing some serious statistical analysis of the NHL officiating. I don't think it would be too hard to prove that some ref are WAY worse than others.

One of these days I'll be pissed off enough to do it.

Anonymous said...

Use of the word 'capriciousness' has got to put you in like the top 5 smartest sports blogs on the net.

Who do you hate more; the refs or the Red Wings?

Tied for 1st for me.

Rich Horton said...

lol

It was a choice between "capriciousness" or a long string of obscenities.

Taken as a group, I hate the refs less. There may be one or two individual refs (ok, maybe, 3) I hate more. The Wings can only ruin my enjoyment of the game...some refs can absolutely ruin the game itself.