Skip to main content

Sadly Predictable

Anybody who has followed the NHL for any length of time knew what was coming for the Blues tonight. You complain about the officiating to the league office (who acknowledge the merits of your complaints btw), and you are going to pay the next game. It's inevitable. The officials are like the thin blue line...they cover for their own.

So you are Doug Weight and you take a stick to the face that busts your lip wide open and knocks you out of the game? Nah, the refs are blind, they don't see anything wrong with that. You are Lee Stempniak and you are hooked from behind while circling the net while the Blues are putting great pressure on? What? Sorry, the refs minds must have been elsewhere.

Look cross eyed at a Wild player? To the box with you.

Alright refs, you got your revenge, now drop your capriciousness and return to your usual state of incompetence.

UPDATE:

I'm done bitching about the NHL refs this season (barring something truly idiotic occuring during the playoffs...so I've a 50/50 shot.)

The next complaints will be about MLS refs, but that is a couple weeks away yet.

Comments

thehockeychick said…
OMG, seriously. And to think these guys get paid for games when their sight isn't quite up to par. I want that job! (Although I'm sure it would help if I could skate well)
Rich Horton said…
I have a half blind cat that might be more up for the job, and you could pay her in Friskies.

I have a little bit of stats in my background and I've alway toyed with the idea of doing some serious statistical analysis of the NHL officiating. I don't think it would be too hard to prove that some ref are WAY worse than others.

One of these days I'll be pissed off enough to do it.
Anonymous said…
Use of the word 'capriciousness' has got to put you in like the top 5 smartest sports blogs on the net.

Who do you hate more; the refs or the Red Wings?

Tied for 1st for me.
Rich Horton said…
lol

It was a choice between "capriciousness" or a long string of obscenities.

Taken as a group, I hate the refs less. There may be one or two individual refs (ok, maybe, 3) I hate more. The Wings can only ruin my enjoyment of the game...some refs can absolutely ruin the game itself.

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)