Friday, March 16, 2007

Tournament Blues

I used to get very up for the NCAA tournament, but t certainly hasn't been the case this year. For starters, neither of my rooting interests were very good this year. The Billikens had an improving season over their last couple, but they badly faltered and wound up being snubbed from even the NIT. Mizzou just looked like a second rater all year, so there was never a bandwagon to jump aboard. (I'm a Billikens fans first and foremost. I support the Mizzou basketball team usually only after SLU has ended its season. So I'll admit it is more casual.)

This year the only thing I've had to cheer for is negative. I was quite happy to see Duke crash out in the first round. I hate Duke with an all consuming passion that probably doesn't come close to measuring up to the bile generated by UNC faithful, but it is impressive for a Midwesterner.

Another problem this year is how boring the field is. You've got the major conferences and the minnows with their auto bids, and almost nobody else. Look at the Big 10. They are doing a good job of winning games (which is the name of the game), but Good God!, they are not entertaining. The Indianas and Michigan States of the world are dull as dishwater. Wisconsin can play a helluva good defensive game, but watching them attempt to put the ball in the basket is almost painful.

It seemed to me that the SEC had the best played ball in the country by far. I'm not saying that an SEC team will win it all (although I wouldn't be surprised), but they will be the best games to watch. Easily.

No comments: