Skip to main content

Tournament Blues

I used to get very up for the NCAA tournament, but t certainly hasn't been the case this year. For starters, neither of my rooting interests were very good this year. The Billikens had an improving season over their last couple, but they badly faltered and wound up being snubbed from even the NIT. Mizzou just looked like a second rater all year, so there was never a bandwagon to jump aboard. (I'm a Billikens fans first and foremost. I support the Mizzou basketball team usually only after SLU has ended its season. So I'll admit it is more casual.)

This year the only thing I've had to cheer for is negative. I was quite happy to see Duke crash out in the first round. I hate Duke with an all consuming passion that probably doesn't come close to measuring up to the bile generated by UNC faithful, but it is impressive for a Midwesterner.

Another problem this year is how boring the field is. You've got the major conferences and the minnows with their auto bids, and almost nobody else. Look at the Big 10. They are doing a good job of winning games (which is the name of the game), but Good God!, they are not entertaining. The Indianas and Michigan States of the world are dull as dishwater. Wisconsin can play a helluva good defensive game, but watching them attempt to put the ball in the basket is almost painful.

It seemed to me that the SEC had the best played ball in the country by far. I'm not saying that an SEC team will win it all (although I wouldn't be surprised), but they will be the best games to watch. Easily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)