Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ricky Schramm Update

Steve Goff had the following on Soccer Insider:

After weeks of phone tag, I was finally able to touch base with Ricky Schramm, the former Georgetown standout who was drafted by D.C. United and subsequently released after a few weeks of training camp.

Schramm tells me he has had two formal workouts with the third-division Richmond Kickers and is close to reaching a deal with the second-tier USL club. His hope is that, if he performs well this summer, he will get another shot at MLS later this year or next season.

Besides DCU, the L.A. Galaxy had expressed interest in him after the college season and might have drafted him if DCU had not claimed him first. But by the time DCU let him go, the Galaxy was well on its way to finalizing its developmental roster. "They basically said it was too late in the game to bring me in at this point, but they said they would keep an eye on me," he said. "They just want me to play somewhere this year. I'm just happy I'll probably have a place to play this summer."

I asked Schramm if he thought United gave him a fair shake before letting him go. "Yeah, I was lucky to have the opportunity with D.C. and, if anything, I was able to see where I stood in terms of MLS and where I need to be."

Schramm was a pure forward in college, but United believed his only chance to make the club was if he could prove himself as a flank player.

"It just wasn't the right fit and I knew that almost right away," he said. "I think I could've showed them something up top, but that wasn't what they were looking for."


Good luck to Ricky in the USL. I figured from the get-go that he wouldn't fit in with United plans, but it is nice to hear he is getting other people interested in his services. Ricky (or a buddy of his at GTown) took exception with my downplaying his chances of latching on with DC here, but we wish him all the best.

I'll still be happy to be proven wrong...as long as he doesn't latch on with New York, or Chicago....or Columbus....Colorado always kinda got on my nerves too....

No comments: