Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Pujols

It might be easy to look at Albert's numbers (and Sunday's glorious finale) and say he's getting back on track. Despite his struggles, his HR and RBI numbers are good, doubly so if you consider his successful protection of Duncan in the lineup as part of his production. However, it worries me that he only seems to be hitting huge mistakes.

What has always blown me away about him is his ability to beat the piss out of pitches that the hurler was trying to make. So many times over the past few years I almost felt sorry for the guy on the mound after Pujols has sent one over the boards or driven a base clearing double into the gap because you know he's sitting out there thinking, "Goddamn it! I just made exactly the pitch I wanted and he STILL sent my ERA trough the roof."

That isn't happening this year. His Ks bear this out too, I think. Hopefully, Rolen's resurrection behind him will let him contract his strike zone and get him back to previous form soon.

1 comment:

Rich Horton said...

I think you are right. He has little of his usual selectivity at the plate. Some real wild looking swings at things out of the strike zone.

Maybe he's afraid Rolen and Edmonds can't drive enough runs for this team to win?