Skip to main content

San Antonio: Texas’ Answer to Tottenham.





These internets and satellite TV are great things indeed. A man can do worse than spending an afternoon sitting in an Irish pub along San Antonio’ Riverwalk District drinking Guinness, smoking cigars, e-mailing clients, blogging, chatting up a lovely Irish bartender and watching West Brom/Burnley live.

And the closest I’ve gotten to the Spurs and the loathsome NBA during my three days here was watching the Tottenham Hotspurs/Arsenal match in this same pub on Saturday.

I have to give San Antonio two thumbs up (at least the city center). The Riverwalk is unlike anything I’ve ever seen in the States. Google it for a sense of what it’s like. Of course my opinion could be clouded by the high I am still on from watching Albert go deep in extra innings for Sunday’s win over the Cubs.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. My lovely bride just called. Her conference meetings are breaking up and in 90 minutes I'm supposed to be ready to go out to dinner with a group of her colleagues (did I mention she is in town for a conference in her professional field of substance abuse treatment?). All appropriate instructions have been given to shut me off of the black stuff in the next hour but no promises were forthcoming from my fair bartender. Looks like I'm reliant on my own willpower and good judgment. I just checked and Vegas won't even give odds on a happy ending to this story......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)