Friday, March 7, 2008

Sidney Ponson?

I'll ask it again: Sidney Ponson?

Really?

Scouts for the Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks, Seattle Mariners, Houston Astros, Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals clustered behind a chain-link fence to watch Ponson's latest reincarnation. A pitcher who once huffed and puffed to muster an 88 mph fastball threw with little obvious effort and significantly more velocity.

"I'm throwing nice and free again. I don't have to force anything," Ponson said.

Weighing about 20 pounds less than when the Cardinals released him 20 months earlier, Ponson exhibited a 93-94 mph fastball, a slider that touched 88 and a changeup that hit 84. An animal with bite replaced the rolling curveball seen two years ago.

"I'm here to rock and roll," Ponson said afterward.

Someone is pulling my leg.

2 comments:

automaticgainsayer said...

While I have supreme confidence in Ponson's tendency to "roll," his claim to also be able to simultaneously "rock" strains credulity.

Rich Horton said...

The sacariest thing is, as I'm reading the article in the PD I began to think, "Shit...he's gonna be our number three starter."

On the plus side (and isn't everything about "plus" when Sidney is involved?), Ponson should come cheap.

Southlandish should really fit in a bunch of the BCTP items in this single PD story.