Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Some Things Just Can't Be Taught

I saw this comment over at St. Louis GT talking about new Blue Cam Janssen:

On The Roll Home on 1380 today, they had John Davidson on talking to Bernie and Randy. J.D. said it shouldn’t be a surprise No. 55 hasn’t played much. He’s missed the entire year with injury, didn’t get much time in the American League and is on a new team with new coaches and a new system. He said over the summer they’re going to work on his skill with the puck. Said he has some raw skill that could be developed.

He had me all the way up until the last point.

That seems to be the way with hockey; either you got it or you don't. I can remember a few years ago watching a Blues scrimmage match during training camp. There was one player who just seemed to always be in good offensive positions; the puck was constantly finding its way to his stick; and if there was a opening in the slot he was filling it quickly. (ed. -That's quite possibly the filthiest thing I've ever written.)

That player? Reed Low. I don't think he recording a single point that day, although he must have had a dozen scoring chances. Whatever "it" is, Low didn't have it.

I think I'd have better luck teaching my hamster to fetch the morning paper than the Blues would trying to turn Can Janssen into anything resembling an offensive player.

No comments: