Saturday, June 2, 2007

Baseball Brou-Haha's

Alright, it cannot measure up to the Chicago Cubs beating the crap out of each other in the club house, but things are a bit testy down Cardinals way. From the PD:

Former Cardinals catcher Eli Marrero on Friday blasted Tony La Russa for the manager's recent comments about how Marrero blew his chance to remain with the organization.

"I don't know what this guy thinks," Marrero said. "I have no more respect for this guy whatsoever. I can't believe what this guy put out there."

The Cardinals released Marrero, 34, from Class AAA Memphis on May 21 after he caught one complete game for the Redbirds on May 18. Marrero, 34, said Friday he never received an explanation from Redbirds manager Chris Maloney but held no animosity toward the club or La Russa until recently reading his explanation.

"I go up there. I catch nine innings, get my four at-bats and my two hits. Then they release me. That's their decision. I left. I'm done with the Cardinals," Marrero said. "Then, all of a sudden, I read this from this guy. He doesn't have the (guts) to call me. He says, 'He didn't do enough with his chances, injuries aside.' Yeah, right."

...

In need of catching depth after Yadier Molina suffered a broken left wrist Tuesday, the Cardinals turned to Brian Esposito, 28, who was hitting .178 at Memphis.

"They screwed up in letting me go. Now, they're trying to make it sound it like it was my fault. Typical," Marrero said.

I have to say it sounds like Marrero is more in the right here. The Cardinals brass did not do a good job preparing the franchise for this season, and they are trying to cover their asses. Blaming Marrero seems like a pretty petty way to go about it. Given the sheer amount of injuries that have clobbered the team it might not have mattered much in the standings even if the off season preparations had been handled correctly, but there is no way to deny the half-assed approach.

Given all of that, the questionable moves just keep coming:

Altering course because of mounting injuries, the Cardinals now concede left fielder Chris Duncan will probably land on the disabled list today, two days after he returned to St. Louis for treatment of persistent infection and bursitis.

The club is expected to promote shortstop Brendan Ryan from Class AAA Memphis after putting Duncan on the DL retroactive to Sunday.

The moves are in contrast to the optimism expressed about Duncan's condition before an 8-1 win over the Houston Astros. During the win, third baseman Scott Rolen strained a right hamstring, left the game and is expected to miss the balance of the weekend's series.

Alright, I won't question bringing up an infielder as Eckstein's and Rolen's status is up in the air, but how do you continue to justify keeping Ankiel down in AAA given the state of the Cards outfield? I know that once you bring Rick up you are committed to him for the season, but so what? The lack of pop in this lineup is a serious handicap, and Ankiel is the only viable option at this point. (I'm really writing off Preston Wilson at this point, and can anyone give me a good reason not to do that?)

No comments: