Thursday, June 7, 2007

Cardinals = K Mart Shoppers?

Southlandish said:

I don't know a damned thing about this kid. If he is versatile, maybe the plan is that one skill may stick and he's trade bait. I don't know what the other draft options were as far as trade material.

We need outfield help ASAP. Drafting for it strikes me as a pipe dream. I'm just guessing here, but it would make sense if you are trying to pick someone you can use to trade up for a serious AA or AAA outfielder who can play in a year or so (when Ankiel blows his Achilles after a promising start) that we need to draft to make a deal.

I agree that we need outfield help sooner rather than later...I just thought it might be nice to have a couple legit prospects down there for a change.

However, there may be a pattern in the Cards draft today. Got this from Future Redbirds:

Cardinals #36 Pick - RHP Clayton Mortenson. From MILB:

While there are often college seniors who make very good pros, it’s rare for there to be one like Mortensen, a legitimate “prospect” on the rise in his senior season. He’s got three usable pitches and a body frame that appears able to handle added strength, which could make his fastball even better. He should be a very intriguing senior sign this summer.

This is worse than the Kozma pick. Horrible. Hate the Cardinals draft so far. Hate. Hate Hate. From BA:

Until this season, the gangly Mortensen was all projection and little production. His velocity took a jump (up to 92 mph) last summer in the West Coast Collegiate League, but his command remained spotty. He was shellacked at Arizona in his first start this season, but since then has had some of the best stuff in the West. Mortensen features a heavy 90-94 mph fastball with excellent sink. His secondary stuff grades as average now, with future plus grades as well: a hard slider and changeup featuring deceptive arm speed. His command is below-average. He’s a senior sign with upside, though, and could go as high as the third round.


Wrong Baseball America. Luhnow and crew were so desperate to get this third rounder they took him 36 overall. (I think I’ve died a little on the inside after the first two picks).

...

I’m taking off for a few hours. I’m perfectly furious over the first two picks we made. Maybe when I cool off, it won’t look so bad but I’m really frustrated right now.


Doesn't it look like the Cards are drafting so they won't have to spend any money to actually sign someone?

1 comment:

Southlandish said...

From work e-mails to the Cards blogging this vacation is like the Godfather III. Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in....and rarely with good news. If I were sober it would be unbearable.