Thursday, June 7, 2007

Cards Draft

St. Louis used their #1 draft pick (#18 overall) for high school shortstop Peter Cozma out of Oklahoma.

Evidently he is a five tool players who does everything well, but nothing outstandingly well.

I'm a little disappointed. Given the fact that no outfielders had been taken, I thought there was a chance for the Cards to pick up, for example, whoever they considered the best available college outfielder. The organization doesn't seem terribly well stocked in that regard...but we got the SS. Some are upset that the Cards didn't go after the pitcher in Jersey, Porcello...but I'm sort of glad they avoided him. Let the Yankees pay Boras' extortionate prices.

1 comment:

Southlandish said...

I don't know a damned thing about this kid. If he is versatile, maybe the plan is that one skill may stick and he's trade bait. I don't know what the other draft options were as far as trade material.

We need outfield help ASAP. Drafting for it strikes me as a pipe dream. I'm just guessing here, but it would make sense if you are trying to pick someone you can use to trade up for a serious AA or AAA outfielder who can play in a year or so (when Ankiel blows his Achilles after a promising start) that we need to draft to make a deal. Haven't even looked to see what he'll cost us but a big name, high $$ draft signee might be less attractive as bait.

Then again, the half bottle of wine and two gins are probably projecting my hopes as an organizational plan...