Friday, November 16, 2007

Yes I Noticed


I've been trying not to get too excited about Tiger football...but it is becoming increasingly difficult. Thanks to the Illini beating Ohio State and Arizona beating Oregon last night, Mizzou "controls their own destiny" vis-a-vis the National Championship. This is, of course, just crazy talk: the mad ravings of a lunatic who doesn't realize that the University of Missouri is a perpetual so-so basketball power and a laughingstock in the world of college football.

But the fact remains, if Mizzou can beat Kansas St. tomorrow, Kansas next week, and Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game, there is no way they will not finish in the BCS Top 2.

So this is what it is like.

I think I'll need some Rolaids.

2 comments:

Southlandish said...

This has been the most exciting season of college football I've ever seen.I've watched more games than I have in over a decade. In a season of absolute unpredictability, there is only one thing that I would put my money on right now - the BCS format is going to make a mockery of a glorious season. If LSU and only one of the three Big 12 teams or AZ St win out then there isn't too much to bitch about. But you have to believe the way this season has been, there are still a couple of tricks still in the bag. This year is tailor made for a playoff. The second best scenario is the pre-BCS format where no one played for a true crown and it could be lore and argued about for ages. But I feel it in my bones that someone is going to be left out and the whole notion of a title game will be a farce, yet someone will have walked away having 'earned' the national championship on the field.

Rich Horton said...

But you have to believe the way this season has been, there are still a couple of tricks still in the bag.

I know what you mean, but it is hard to see how ONE of the Big 12 teams won't be there. (Of course watch Iowa St. beat Kansas this weekend and Mizzou lose at K St.)

Granted, I don't know who LSU has on their schedule...but I'm assuming they are going to be there. They seem a legit #1, especially compared to Ohio State.

You are right that it has been a fun season to watch across the board. As I age I seem to watch fewer games where I dont have a natural rooting interest (outside of soccer), but it has been easier to find interesting games as I channel surf.