Skip to main content

Okay, I'll Give You That I'm An Idiot

Otto: The font of all wisdom.

Remember back when I was proud because I predicted the score of the Missouri/Ole Miss game to within a single point? Remember, also, back when I predicted a 7-5 campaign for the Tigers? Well, I long for those nice simple days.

Today I woke up at 6AM and wasn't able to get back to sleep because I'm excited about the "big game" which was 13 hours away at that point. (Trust me, the over/under on my being asleep on a Thanksgiving Holiday Saturday is usually set at 11AM...with the smart money on the over.) I'm just getting over the flu, so it isn't as if I can start making bloody marys to take the edge off. (Are mimosas more soothing on the stomach?) So, I'm sitting here fidgeting, watching the clock and waiting while the acid begins to build in my gut.

I'll say this though: I've seen Mizzou play a few times, and I've seen Kansas twice. Mizzou should win this one handily. Back in August I predicted 41-17 Missouri, and that should be about right...except everything is different now. The stakes are not just about the big rivalry game, and I worry the Tigers will not react well. But Kansas hasn't been in this position either.

Besides, it is high time Kansas got payback for 1960.

And, for no particular reason, here is a photo of Miss America/Miss Universe from 1960. C'mon Mizzou! Let's do it for her too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)