Monday, June 23, 2008

Blues Draft Review

Well...in some ways it went as I expected. The Blues wound up taking one of the highly touted defensemen (and quite clearly the best one available at #4), and, as I had thought they might, the Blues took a goaltender with a second round pick. In neither case did the Blues get the player I would have preferred (I would have liked Bogosian over Pietrangelo, and Pickard over Allen), but I like the approach.

The Blues had three third round picks which they used on forwards, which makes a lot of sense for a franchise that is so set on the blueline. If one or more of them turn into useful pros, then the Blues will have something.

The one thing missing is that one winger with real goal scoring upside. Maybe this is something the Blues feel they can address in free agency (I doubt), or via the trade route (possibly.) A part of me was pained to see someone in our division pick up Filatov. If he pans out we may have a pain in the ass in Columbus for years to come.

Still, on balance the Blues did well. Picking up Mason from Nashville also fills a hole at backup goalie, which will be helpful. I was sort of sad to see long time Blues forward Jamal Mayers go in a trade...but we do have a surplus of 3rd line forwards. Jamal bled Blue, but we needed to go in a different direction.

No comments: