Thursday, June 19, 2008

Euro2008 Quarter Final Predictions

I am as good at showing my ignorance as the next guy, usually better, in fact. So here goes:

Portugal v. Germany - For no good reason, I'm going with the upset. The Germans have been unimpressive and are bickering, but they will get it together enough to win a 2-1 squeaker.

Croatia v. Turkey - The Croats are too much for the Turks and will control possession for a 3-1 win.

Netherlands v. Russia - The Dutch have been brilliant. I missed yesterday's match against Sweden but read that the Russians were dominant. They'll need it. This could/should be the match to watch in the quarter-finals. In the end I think the Dutch will clip them in a 4-3 thriller. C'mon, a guy can dream, can't he?

Spain v. Italy - This one came to pass as I predicted last week, saying Italy would make it through to the semis. I'm not going to back off now, though the absence of Pirlo and Gattuso in the midfield more than gives me pause. Against by better judgment, I'll say a 1-1 draw with the Italians through on penalty kicks. At some point doesn't Luca Toni have to pick up at least a garbage goal in front of the net?

I see I have just predicted 16 goals that would set up a Germany v. Croatia rematch and Netherlands v. Italy. Talk about blind optimism ruling the day. I'll actually be rooting for Portugal and Spain make it through despite my predictions.

1 comment:

Rich Horton said...

Germany always seems to find a way to luck out even when they are not playing well...but this Portugal team has had some success. I'll go 2-1 Portugal.

Talking about luck! Turkey used up all of theirs. Croatia 2-0.

Netherlands take care of an overmatched Russian side. 3-0.

Spain is Spain. If anyone can find a way to crash out against Italy it is Spain. Italy 1-0.