Saturday, June 7, 2008

Euro2008 Is Upon Us


The next three weeks will be a scramble each day to try to fit my work around the twice daily games, which start at 11:45 and 2:30 on ESPN2 (today's matches are on ESPN Classic). No Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales so this is very much a continental affair. The consensus is that Group C with Italy, France, Romania and the Dutch is the Group of Death.

The Guardian has full previews up and they have decided to alter to their Football Weekly's twice weekly format to a Football Daily one for the next three weeks, with James Richardson and Barry Glendenning anchoring it from a pub in Vienna. Their daily 2006 World Cup were great and I look forward to more of the same. They have a brief introductory preview clip up today.

Now if I can just rush Mrs. Southlandish's ass through the Saturday morning shopping (the number of stores we 'need' to go to grows by the fucking minute) and get my ass back here by 11:30, I'll be happy.

Hope to be doing a little bit of blogging about it over the next few weeks, while keeping an eye on the Cards. You can't be anything but happy to be where we are right now and I intend to stick to my pre-season pledge of treating this season as a transitional one where any kind of winning ball is a bonus, though that becomes tougher and tougher as it remains the fucking Cubs out there in front of us. Let the games begin...

1 comment:

Rich Horton said...

I sure do wish the opening games were on not on the unavailable (to me) ESPN "Classic".

I like horse racing more than the next guy, but last time I checked, I didn't have a parimutual window in my living room...so the appeal of the Belmont undercard is limited. And the only college baseball I'm interested in would be something with Arizona St. so I can see the kid the Cards just drafted. (Which I cant fucking see either since ASU will be on the mythical ESPNU.)

I fucking hate ESPN.