Skip to main content

Dumber Than Mel Kiper Jr.

That is the phrase du jour at the Southlandish household after I mocked his preseason predictions. I must now bow to the genius that is Kiper in his Illini football prediction of seven or eight wins.

I'm in the same boat as IM, only with the words "Illini" and "bowl bid". Now I'm getting greedy and starting to hope for a bowl game here in Florida so I can go see them play.

I have no illusions about Saturday. Even though we have traditionally played well against the Buckeyes, we'll be mauled. But if we could bounce back and beat Northwestern to close out an 8-4 season, I'll be nothing short of dumbfounded. And to think we had a very real chance to win in all three of our losses to date. That's just crazy.

In other random thoughtlessness:

- No great opinion on the Mo GM position or LaRussa's re-upping for the Cardinals. There is so much work to be done that I don't know where to start to make this club competitive next year. Every time I begin to think about it, I simply give up in despair.

- It's been fun watching Favre lead the Packers to a 7-1 start. That Monday night Denver game was a helluva finish! I see where the traditional Thanksgiving game at Detroit will be against the Pack. That will make for a fun day of grilling turkey, watching football and splashing in the pool. Yes, I am going to rub that in since it has been hotter than ass here since April. We are finally seeing some glorious weather and coming out of our air conditioned hibernations for the first time since early Spring.

- nothing much else on the sporting front is grabbing me these days. Watching some MLS Cup matches (sorry about the DC United flame out, IM) and quite a few Premiership and Champions League games with a bit of the odd La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga match thrown in. But since I generally don't actually root for anyone except the underdog, there's no passion involved, not that that's a bad thing. Pissing and moaning about the Cards and Illini have already taken untold years off my life so I'm not sure if or when I'll get around to finding a European club to support. Until Real Collinsville FC United launches, the MLS will also remain something enjoyable to watch but nothing that causes me ulcers.

- The next big thing on the horizon is the Illini basketball team and there is a conspicuous "we'll have to wait and see" feeling among the Illini fans I talk to.

Comments

Rich Horton said…
That will make for a fun day of grilling turkey, watching football and splashing in the pool. Yes, I am going to rub that in since it has been hotter than ass here since April.

Just what I want to hear as I watch the flurries come down here.
Anonymous said…
On the plus side, you have warm, fuzzy thoughts about Mizzou to keep the cold at bay.

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)