Thursday, February 28, 2008

And we're celebrating this . . . why?

Usually, my unreasoned rants against the Post-Dispatch come after I read the St. Louis paper of record. But, apparently, my dislike for the paper is so zen, that I’m denouncing articles before they’re even printed. A week ago, I complained bitterly in these pages about the atmosphere at the Feb. 17 Blues game. Well, at least now I know who to blame:
The Blues' in-game entertainment owes much of its new look to Mark Tamar, the team's first vice president of entertainment and event marketing. They lured Tamar from Washington, D.C., where the NHL honored the Capitals last year
for best fan experience.
A puff piece is a puff piece is a puff piece, but a film major bringing in a Blue bear named “Louie” has put fans back into the seats? If so, shame on the fans. (Although, even I recognize the naked appeal of the Seinfeld look-alike and “kiss” cams).

I’ve got no problem with the team paying attention to the “fan experience,” but I sincerely hope that attendance is up because of the product on the ice, not the nonsense in the stands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Amen Amen. Exactly my thoughts after reading the story.