Monday, February 25, 2008

Blues Resign Jackman

This comes as a bit of a surprise, as it certainly looked like he would have been a big chip to possibly move at the trade deadline, but the Blues have signed Barret Jackman for 4 years, $14.4 million. St. Louis Game Time has some details:

ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues President John Davidson announced today that defenseman Barret Jackman has agreed to a contract extension with the club. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“Barret has been a staple on the blueline for the Blues since his rookie season,” said Davidson. “He logs plenty of minutes per game and will continue to be a key part of our team as we move forward.”

“I have said all along that I wanted to remain in St. Louis,” said Jackman. “The Blues drafted me, I met my wife here and I want to raise a family here. I’m excited about the direction of this franchise and love playing in front of Blues fans.”

You've gotta love the commitment to the Blues shown by Jacks. And certainly you can see the brain trust has put a high premium on what is still a relatively young player at 26.

What this means for the trade market is anyone guess. This might signal the end of Bryce Salvador's time with the Note, and maybe Jay McKee is suddenly the key piece of trade bait.

It looks like the trades have started to roll. (Just heard a rumor that Rob Blake is heading to Colorado...for what I've no idea.) So, hopefully the Blues can get something done.

Alright Jacks...good on ya. Now help get us into the playoffs soon.

No comments: