Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Too Damned Busy

Southlandish doing his own Spring Training.

I don't think I've read 10 lines of Spring Training coverage. I hate it when I am too busy to keep track of all the worn out clichés and phrases that carefully mask what is really being said. All of the 700 hundred word columns that say fuck all. The forums chock full of tedious back and forths over whether the hang nail suffered by the 42 year old has-been in camp on a minor league contract has doomed the season. I mock because I love. I feel empty right now. I have got to get back into the game.

The upside of my schedule has been that I've been spared the horror that is the Illini basketball season. All is not lost in Illini Country. I was enjoying a happy hour beer Friday when the Kelvin Sampson news broke and a brew has never tasted so fine. Now if Bruce Pearl would just find the grill of a speeding bus, I might be able to call the season a modest success.

On the plus side I do have front row seats for the Cards game against the Twinkies when they travel to Fort Myers on March 24. Most fans down here hope that all the big names travel. As for me, they can stay in Jupiter. Pujols and, uh, lemme see, ok he is the only big name.....Glaus! Yeah, him. I would like to see Glaus live since it would be a first. Other than that, I am looking forward to seeing a bunch of young guys trying to make their closing arguments the last week of camp.

So if you are watching the ESPN highlights, that will my sweet delicious beer sitting on the center of the Cards dugout. And the guy shoveling peanuts and hot dogs down his throat like a starving refugee? C'est moi.

No comments: