Skip to main content

Serves Me Right

I knew I shouldn't have gotten excited about the Billikens this season. I KNEW IT...and I did it anyway.

St. Louis University's season went from bad to worse on Saturday night.

In the wake of a bad loss to St. Bonaventure, one of the two worst teams in the Atlantic 10 Conference, the Billikens lost 73-63 to the other one, Duquesne at Scottrade Center, leaving it unclear who in the conference they can beat the way things are going now. Some of the few fans who remained in the building booed at the final buzzer. For SLU, this was the week that stunk.

"To start with the obvious, I can't personally imagine a tougher start to our conference season than this,'' Billikens coach Brad Soderberg said. "When expectations are high and you start out this way it's very, very difficult to swallow."

After starting the season 9-2, the Billikens have lost three of four games and, even with a 10-5 record and half the season to play, have seen their NCAA hopes now most likely hinge on winning the conference tournament after two RPI-killing losses.


NIT here we come.

Damn it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
www.firebradsoderberg.wordpress.com
Rich Horton said…
You know...I don't know if I am there...yet. I'm not sure it makes any sense to fire Brad and bring in another coach from a smaller team that has a lot to prove. Brad at least seems committed to SLU, unlike Romar.

Let us see how the rest of the season unfolds....if they collapse I'll jump on the fire Brad bandwagon.

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Damon: "James Bond Should Be A Wuss, Like Me."

Alright, maybe Damon didn't say that exactly, but he might as well have : Hollywood star Matt Damon has dismissed James Bond as being stuck in the past. The actor, who appears in the Bourne thrillers, said: "The Bond character will always be anchored in the 1960s and in the values of the 1960s." The suave spy was "so anachronistic when you put it in the world we live in today", he said, but added that Bourne was no better or worse than Bond. Damon was speaking in London, where The Bourne Ultimatum, the third film in the franchise, is having its UK premiere. "Bond is an imperialist and a misogynist who kills people and laughs about it, and drinks Martinis and cracks jokes," he told reporters. "Bourne is a serial monogamist whose girlfriend is dead and he does nothing but think about her." Bourne mooning over his dead girlfriend is something we should be excited to see? Give me a break. At least Bond lives in a world where it is killed or be ki...

A Note of Optimism About the Note

 If you have been trying to watch the St. Louis Blues attempt to play hockey of late it would be hard to believe the word optimism could ever be in play. The losses continue relentlessly, often in the "never in the game" style, but increasingly in a "lose from winning position" flair which is enough to make someone turn on the news for an upbeat change of pace. (Wow, plane crashes and LUNACY!) This team still can't score with the regularity needed to win consistently in this league. The coaching staff knows they have precious few natural goal scorers (one is precious few), so they attempt to make up for it by getting what I call "process" goals, i.e. goals scored by virtue of constant pressure, crazy bounces, accidental deflections, etc. Basically, any goal you can get from a player who doesn't have the knack for scoring them on their own. The Blues are something like zero for their last 12-15 breakaway chances, and zero for their last 25-30 2 on 1...

MLS Descent To Garbage League Continues

Good fucking God almighty. I worried going into this season that referees might "magically" give a boat load of breaks to the Galaxy so that when Beckham returns he would be "playing for something." Look at this " penalty " and tell me what you think. DC was robbed pure and simple. So, was this a case of mind-blowing incompetence or a mandate from the league office? Time will tell. (Really that is the worst penalty call I've ever seen.)