Sunday, January 7, 2007

Serves Me Right

I knew I shouldn't have gotten excited about the Billikens this season. I KNEW IT...and I did it anyway.

St. Louis University's season went from bad to worse on Saturday night.

In the wake of a bad loss to St. Bonaventure, one of the two worst teams in the Atlantic 10 Conference, the Billikens lost 73-63 to the other one, Duquesne at Scottrade Center, leaving it unclear who in the conference they can beat the way things are going now. Some of the few fans who remained in the building booed at the final buzzer. For SLU, this was the week that stunk.

"To start with the obvious, I can't personally imagine a tougher start to our conference season than this,'' Billikens coach Brad Soderberg said. "When expectations are high and you start out this way it's very, very difficult to swallow."

After starting the season 9-2, the Billikens have lost three of four games and, even with a 10-5 record and half the season to play, have seen their NCAA hopes now most likely hinge on winning the conference tournament after two RPI-killing losses.


NIT here we come.

Damn it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

www.firebradsoderberg.wordpress.com

Rich Horton said...

You know...I don't know if I am there...yet. I'm not sure it makes any sense to fire Brad and bring in another coach from a smaller team that has a lot to prove. Brad at least seems committed to SLU, unlike Romar.

Let us see how the rest of the season unfolds....if they collapse I'll jump on the fire Brad bandwagon.