Friday, January 5, 2007

Will Ruy Lead To Ruin?

From the Washington Post:

After trading four veteran players and replacing its head coach, D.C. United appears close to making its first major player acquisition of the offseason -- Ruy, a right-side midfielder for renowned Brazilian club Botafogo.

According to several sources close to the situation, United might be able to finalize a long-term deal this week for the player, whose full name is Ruy Bueno Neto but, in his country's sporting tradition, goes by one name.

Brazilian media reports have indicated the arrangement has already been set, with Ruy's agent, Marcio Bittencourt, telling Radio Brasil that United "has high expectations for him there."


I suppose I should be hoping for the best, but I have to say I have a bad feeling about this. A long term deal on a South American seems risky. If you look across MLS as a whole there have been decidely mixed results. United themselves have had, well, let's just say a variety of outcomes. I'll be the first to admit that Gomez has been spectacular, and maybe there is reason to think the DC brain trust has this South American scouting business figured out.

I know all that.

Still.... I have a bad feeling about his...

No comments: